Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Mark of A Truly Historic Day

I'm in Los Angeles at the moment and had the good fortune of being glued to my television set most of yesterday and well into the evening. The pomp and circumstance of the events in Washington DC had me mesmerized like the rest of the world. I must admit I shed some tears watching grown men and women weeping during the oath of office and the inaugural address. It was a historical day, one I won't forget.

I was up early this morning because I wanted to get a copy of the newspaper. At 7 a.m. in morning, in one of the largest cities in the world, I couldn't find a single newspaper. I went into a 7-11 and the clerk told me that every paper they had was sold out in less than an hour. I went to gas stations, super markets, convenience stores and nearby hotels. Nothing. Every paper sold out. I came back and turned the news on and found out that some people were buying 10, 15 or even 20 copies of the papers to keep for relatives or to send to friends overseas.

That's the mark of a truly historical day. If you have a copy of today's paper, you'd better keep it. Your grandchildren and great-grandchildren with thank you for it.

No comments: