Tuesday, June 12, 2012

MORE '72 NEWS

A small and spirited group gathered on Windward O'ahu to scatter the ashes of our classmate, Steven Newhouse. From the left: Dede and Mike Albert, Debbie Lau Okamura, Mona Soberano Morris, Sue Peterson, Laureen Kim, Rickie Vidinhar, Malia Matoon Newhouse, Robin Newhouse (Steven's widow), Betty Lau, Joe Doughty, Mary Bacon, Butchie Lee, Glenn Merchant.

A few of our classmates gathered at the home of Karynne Chong Morgan to celebrate on Sunday night. From the left: Karynne, Alan Michaels and Laureen Kim, Danny and Anna Akaka, Albert Kaai, Brian Okamura, Bernard and Sue Peterson, Debbie Lau Okamura.



Comments about Alumni Week from our classmates:

FROM BARRY YAMADA (via Facebook):
I have had time to reflect and digest all that happened this weekend, our 40th class reunion....before this weekend, I didn't think I needed to go to a reunion because I thought I was doing OK....and I was doing OK.....but now I am doing better....much better...and I have to think the reason is all of you my fellow classmates.....as I hugged and kissed and stumbled over my words.....not to mention the constant lump in my throat....its hard to explain how much each and everyone of you mean to me....but through all the laughter and tears there we stood together and God willing I will see you all the next time.

FROM MILTON OLMOS:"To all of my 1972 classmates, it was great seeing all of you having a good time at the reunion. Thanks to all for posting the pictures and videos. I really miss all of you and I'll be at the next one. IMUA!"

Milt

FROM ISAAC AKUNA:
Thanks Bennie for doing this. It has helped to keep us engaged and provides that needed element of communication with those who have become as close as family. I do find myself missing the ones we have lost over the years. I wish they could be with us now.

FROM PATRICK RICHARDSON:
Mahalo to everyone for all the photos - at least this lolo could experience Alumni Week vicariously. Maybe that's why I was eating so much this weekend, but didn't feel satisfied...needed some good luau!


FROM TOMMY THOMPSON:
I've really enjoyed the photos and videos on Facebook and this blog site. Almost could hear the music on the lanai at the dorm. Thanks to all of you for the posts.


FROM MASON HONDA:
Love the Pics.
You guys still look young, except for Bimo.
Looks like Alika got there too....
Rodney "Fountain of Youth" Bayne, need I say more?
Mace

FROM AVERY CHOY:
Hi Benny! Thank you very much for sharing the awesome class pictures. I just finished packing but I know I will have to double check and make sure I have everything for our family trip this evening. I'm taking my daughter Esther (10 years old) to Disneyworld. We've been planning this trip for quite a while (3-4 years). My brother and his family left last week and are in N. Carolina right now reuniting with his in-laws and for the first time all of his grandchildren will be riding the airplane to the mainland! How exciting for them. We will meet them in Orlando on Sunday. We will all (26 of us) be there for a week. My brother and his family return to Hawaii, but me, my daughter (she's actually my grandniece whom I adopted at birth 9-01-2001), her two siblings, my sister her husband and son, and my youngest sister will be traveling to Washington D.C. for 3 days, then onto Saco,Maine for another 3 days, and lastly to New York! We come home on June 30th. As I told Ulu I would love to have come to the reunion but I've been so busy with family "stuff" that I couldn't see myself breaking away. You folks are doing an awesome job keeping our class united in spirit. Mahalo nui loa for the memories!
Aloha,
Avery


FROM WES KAUI:
Benson
I know I hardly respond to anything, but, I do want to acknowledge your efforts as well as Debbie's efforts with how well the Imua blog and how well all of you folks set up the 40th class re union. My wife and I enjoyed every facet of it.

Through my hectic scheduling with accomodating my mother in law and also spending time with my two sons on Oahu and a few church callings at the Laie Temple, I still managed to pretty much most of the events. I truly enjoyed myself and tried to make my rounds to acknowledge people. There were alot that I missed. If there is any follow up in the blogs, please tell my classmates I didn't intentionally miss them, Unfortunately I was not able to recognize them, except after when i viewed the Imua blog. Dah, I should have known better. Please tell everyone I love them until we meet again.

Braddah Wes.on Kauai signing off

1 comment:

Raynell Miranda Abut said...

Hi Class,
I am so glad one of my co-worker's talked me into attending class night 6/08/12. I immediately called Ginger Tavares Jaictin on her availability. After checking with Ulu (that morning), on whether or not it was too late to go, said we could pay at the door. It was wonderful seeing everyone although, I cheated by looking at their year book pictures with their names. We had a GREAT time. The end of the night came too soon. I am so sad we didn't purchase luau tickets for Saturday. Thanks to Benny, Debbie and rest of the committee for organizing the event. Felt the closeness of our class and looking forward to June 2017. Luv Ya all,
Raynell