Monday, September 1, 2008

George Terry Kanalu Young 1954-2008

One of our most esteemed classmates, George "Kanalu" Young, passed away last night at Queens Hospital. He had been at Queens since early July, fighting muscle spasms and other complications that were related to his paralysis of 39 years. At the end, he made the decision to discontinue his feeding tube and asked to be disconnected from his respirator. He was surrounded by his family and long-time caretaker and classmate, Lois Wise when he died at approximately 9:00 p.m. Hawaii Time.

Despite his paralysis (caused by a diving accident in 1969), George lived a very full life, graduating from UH and and receiving his doctorate in Hawaiian Studies. He was head of the masters program in Hawaiian Studies and a long time professor at the University. He was an outspoken activist for Hawaiian causes and authored dozens of articles and books on different aspects of the Hawaiian culture. He wrote a short story about his accident and paralysis and had it published in the widely successful book, Chicken Soup from the Soul of Hawaii. In addition, George was a composer who wrote many songs and chants, including a chant for the University of Hawaii football program. In 2002, he was honored with the Frank Kernohan Award for perpetuating Hawaiian music, language and culture.

He was beloved by his students and respected by his colleagues.

"I've learned so much from George over the last 5 years. I can't even begin to explain what his loss means to me," said Debbie Lau Okamura, a classmate and Hawaiiana student.

To watch an amazing video of George produced by the Koani Foundation, go to this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqrH0ihSqQ

Funeral arrangements are pending. George was survived by his father and mother and brother and sister and a huge extended o'hana.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Auwe! What a loss! Incredible man. If you haven't already...watch the youtube video. Aloha Kanalu....you are the greatest Kamehameha warrior from the class of 1972. None of us can replace the void he leaves....but all of us must collectively do what we can. Watch the video. Bimo

'72 Blog Master said...

There is really no way to speak to this great loss except to say that with every breath he took, our brother George was a true Warrior. Terry & I had just returned to Honolulu from Maui last night and I will always believe that it was no coincidence running into Lois (who had just arrived from Kona) in baggage claim. We rushed to Queens along with Lois in time to tell George how much we loved him. My last words to George was to tell him that the next time I see him, he will be standing with open arms to greet me. a hui hou my dearest brother. - Peter

'72 Blog Master said...

While it's so sad to say Aloha to George I do believe he is in a much better place. My condolences to his family, I always remember his mother bringing him to school in their van. Her devotion truly inspires me to be a good mother to my sons. The video is awesome and I will share it will all my Ohana. Let's all remember to leave this place better than we found it as George has! Aloha ke Akua to all of you!
Marie

Anonymous said...

Kanalu was a friend of mine who never failed to kokua whenever I called his office. We wrote several songs together, the latest songs are part of the collection from the Hokule‘a Legacy CD.
I will mis my friend and offer my sincerest condolences to his ‘ohana.
Kenneth Makuakane

Laureen Kim said...

George will truly be missed. He taught me so many lessons about life and what it means to be pono. I didn't get to visit him as often as I would have liked because I live on the mainland now, but I'm glad that I was able to visit with him the last time I was home. Aloha, George. I'm sure that you are still enriching those around you. Laureen

Anonymous said...

Ke au'i nei kala...welo! welo!
Ke au'i nei kala...welo! welo!
Ke molehulehu mai nei...nakolo!nakolo!
Ke molehulehu mai nei...nakolo! nakolo!
Na po'o ana i lalo...he moku o Lehua!
Na po'o ana i lalo...he moku o Lehua!
Ma'awihilani...he moe, he moe!
Ma'awihilani...he moe! he moe!
Aloha e kukula o ka lani
Aloha e kukula o ka honua.
Au'e anu,anu o u mau iwi hilo nei.

A hui hou, Kanalu!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Terry since the summer of 1979 or was it the New Year's Eve party of 1979?
That was the first party in your parents new home. Not so long ago in my mind.

I"m in shock that I found this site and yet, your gone.

I just watched the video.

There was no surprise of how full your life has been. I am so truly blessed in having met you and your family.

So kind, so very kind you were to me. I was so far from home and scared. My father thought the world of you and loved your singing.

God Bless you,

Renee Skaggs
June Skaggs
And the late Jack Skaggs

Unknown said...

I hope you are among the most highest. You only limited in distance but yet traveled farther then one can only perceive. The plunge in 1969 was one into its destiny. You will be remembered not as a hero but as a savior. This is the flick of a switch that will neither darkness or cold can effect. May you continue shining among the brightest. Hang loose 🤙. We were enchanted by you.